Our Expertise –
Areas Where We Can Help
Stress & Anxiety
Grief & Loss
Family Member Conflict
OCD & Panic Attacks
Autism & ADHD
Job Loss or Change
Irregular Sleep Cycles
Gender Identity Issues
Zoning Out or Dissociation
Isolation & Loneliness
Therapy approaches –
All therapists at Samford Psychology are trained in a range of therapies. Our philosophy is that the best possible treatment program for any individual is based on a comprehensive assessment and treatment tailored to meet the needs of the individual.
All therapists are trained and experienced in using Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT), as well as other approaches, including Schema-Focused Therapy, Ego-State Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Solution-Focused Therapy, Compassion-Focused Therapy and Interpersonal Therapy.
The specific therapy approaches used by different clinicians will vary to some extent – please call 3289 2992 and ask our friendly team if you are looking for a particular therapy approach.
We will do our best to match you to the right therapist for you, or provide appropriate referral advice if we feel we are unable to meet your needs.
- Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT) – All practitioners
- Schema-Focused Therapy (SFT) – Natalie, Maria, Claudia, Sonya
- Emotion-Focused Therapy (EFT) – Natalie, Claudia, Sonya
- Ego-State Therapy – Natalie
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) – David, Maria
- Solution-Focused Therapy – All practitioners
- Compassion-Focused Therapy – All practitioners
- Interpersonal Therapy – All practitioners
- Family therapy – David, Bernie
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy – David
Psychometric Learning Assessments –
Psychometric learning assessments are available at Samford Psychology, conducted by Sonya Melbourne who has a special interest in this area.
Learning assessments can help with:
- Understanding why a child is struggling at school (one subject, several, or all of them)
- Identifying special learning difficulties (e.g. dyslexia)
- Identifying a childs cognitive strengths and weaknesses and being able to develop a framework for additional support at school, or at home
- Assessment and diagnosis of intellectual disability or other cognitive difficulties – can assist with access to external resources and funding such as NDIS
- Understanding if your child is gifted in one or more areas
Tests may include Weschsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC-V), Wechsler Individual Achievement Test (WIAT-III), Adaptive Behaviour Assessment System (ABAS-3), and a range of other tests to assess relevant factors such as anxiety, depression and behavioural difficulties.
Ages: Children. Adolescents. Ages 6-16.
Psychiatrist David Ward is available to provide assessment and medication review, followed by liaison with referring General Practitioners to facilitate prescription of medication.
However, David’s treatment approach is holistic and his primary interest is in the provision of therapy, which may or may not, include medication.